Wondering How You're Doing as a Podcaster? Check Out These Industry Benchmarks.Aug 08, 2023
I published my first podcast at the end of March 2023. Since then, I've been aiming to publish at least one podcast a week, as well as increasing the marketing and promotion after episodes are published.
I figured I'm not the only Coach / Consultant / Speaker / Author turned Podcaster who is wondering if my stats are any good, right?
I'm also achievement-oriented, and sometimes knowing I'm doing well helps to motivate me to do more.
I also figured that by sharing this, I would be helping my clients, some of whom are also podcasters. I'll update this blog as I find more data or have updates. So here we go!
Here are my Podcast achievements / stats to date (as of August 8, 2023):
- Published a total of 24 podcasts, typically one a week.
- 1,188 downloads since published
- 51 downloads in the last 7 days
- 374 downloads in the last 30 days
- 851 downloads in the last 90 days
- Buzzsprout is telling me: The Podcast Predictor "We forecast your next episode will receive 52 Downloads"
- Apple Podcasts is telling me I've gained 34 followers, 31 listeners, 20 engaged listeners, and 457 plays. FYI that Engaged Listeners, "The number of unique devices that played at least 20 minutes or 40% of an episode within a single session. Pausing or stopping an episode does not count as starting a new session."
My former career was as a corporate marketer, and I learned to measure yourself against yourself (or your goals), as well as against the industry.
Essentially, you're creating benchmarks to measure yourself against.
So by documenting these stats here, I can come back later and look at them again, maybe in a year from now.
Until then, what about the industry? How am I doing with my podcast compared to other podcasters?
So, this tells me that:
- I'm in between the Top 25% - Top 50% of podcasts based on episode downloads in the first 7 days. But if you look closer, my per-episode achievement is about 30 - 45 downloads in the first 7 days. So therefore, I'm closer to the Top 50% of all podcasters, based on downloads in the first 7 days.
- About 34% of other podcasters publish every 3 - 7 days, with only 7% publishing every 0 - 2 days.
- I haven't found any data yet on how many episodes the average podcaster has produced, or on how many podcasters have exceeded X number of episodes published. If you have that data, I'm very interested. But only if it's sourced from a third-party or aggregate service.
Find this blog helpful? Email me at [email protected] or message me on LinkedIn.
Buzzsprout: use my link to get a $20 credit when you sign up!
BTW - here are my other discounts / referral links: