The Open to Work Green Circle - Helpful or Obnoxious?Apr 23, 2021
Wondering whether or not to add the "Open to Work" green circle on your LiknedIn profile photo? Read this blog for an overview of how to add it as well as my POV on the value of this to your profile.
Open to work: here's a video from Sweta Regmi on how to add the green half circle on your profile photo. I'm not a big fan of this feature personally, but I want to provide you with the instructions in case you are wondering how to set this up.
WHY ENABLE "OPEN TO WORK" TO ALL CONNECTIONS?
- It may give you more visibility for your job search. Especially if you've been out of work for 6-12 months or more
- It clearly illustrates you are looking for a new job, which prevents any confusion on whether or not you're looking.
- It's a new LinkedIn feature, and historically, use of newer features may help you to come up in more searches.
WHY I WOULD NOT ENABLE "OPEN TO WORK"? (OR, SHOW TO RECRUITERS ONLY)
- The green circle is like a blinking green neon light. It's not subtle at all. It might come across as desperate.
- It may make you look desperate. Maybe you ARE desperate, but as a marketer, I'd prefer that people discover I'm looking for a new position by reading my ABOUT statement, and not by the green circle.
- It covers part of your photo. I heard one person describe it as the "Green Scarf" which helps to remind you - it covers part of your headshot photo.
What do you think? Do you use the Open to Work frame? Why or why not?
Was this article helpful? Leave a comment below, then visit my profile and click MORE and send me an invitation to connect.
Need help with LinkedIn strategy? Visit www.mellermarketing.com/linkedin to learn more about my LinkedIn strategy services.
In Career Transition? I can help you! Check out my webinars and courses by joining my job seeker VIP email list: https://mellermarketing.com/jobseeker